Sunday, March 28, 2010

Secularization in America

I do believe that America is becoming more secular than it has been in the past. I think this is partly due to the fact that many other options for religions are present than have been in the past. America is still predominantly Christian, but there isn't the social stigma attached to being non-Christian that used to exist. I think that it is definitely a good thing that people don't feel as pressured to fit in with the mainstream religious viewpoint. I think that in different parts of the country, religion plays a much different role also. In the Biblebelt South, I think that secularization isn't as apparent as in other parts of the country, and that it is often expected for people to be Christian, but in the West and East, there is more diversification. I don't agree with the theories that suggest that having more options of religions doesn't increase secularization. I think that our society now is very focused on instant gratification and only spending time where it matters, and, to a lot of people, religion doesn't matter enough to spend time pursuing it. Perhaps these people still associate with a certain religion, but if they are not practicing the religion, I think that this can still be considered secularization.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that today it is much easier for people to not be pressured into one religion over another. However, I definitely believe that our fast-paced lives greatly contribute to the secularization of the world. People spend much more time pursuing careers and devote free time to other activities than they did in the past. Religion often seems to be overlooked as something to engage in on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete